I had some flat-leaf parsley in the fridge that I really wanted to use up, so I went and made meatballs for dinner. AGAIN. Bawwwring. And because I was feeling so very very BORING, I thought I’d make some yummy dessert for A 🙂 Good wife I am, I know 😛
I’d come across a few different muah chee (or mochi) recipes a while back but just never got down to actually making some. Since I had an unopened packet of glutinous rice flour in the pantry and lots of ground peanuts (from the MIL), I figured I may as well make the best of ’em all!
The decision then to be made was between methods of cooking – did I want to STEAM the batter and wait 40 minutes or did I want to “take a risk” and MICROWAVE for only 7 minutes?
Because I’m lazy, the decision was made for me – I was going to take the risk and microwave…
And boy, am I DEEELIGHTED that I decided to microwave because in simply under 15 minutes, including prepping all the ingredients and mixing etc, I had me some YUMMY MUAH CHEE! Just like I’d get in Singapore! yippee! *knocks heels together*
Thank you EVERYONE who’s shared their recipes and methods online!
Here’s my recipe and method, adapted from The Little Teochew:
(Muah Chee Batter)
- 250g glutinous rice flour
- 375ml water
- 3 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 tbsp shallot/vegetable oil (I used shallot oil this time but will most likely use vegetable oil the next.)
- 200g finely ground peanuts
- 50g caster sugar
- Mix all of the ingredients for the muah chee batter in a covered microwave-safe bowl. (I made sure to mix until the batter was lump-free).
- Microwave on high for 7 mins.
- Cut into tiny pieces using a kitchen scissor and drop it into the peanuts and sugar mixture. Coat well and serve immediately.
I fed a piece to A before he even had the chance to step out of the car and it was sheer JOY that erupted across his face. I knew he thought his wife rocked, especially when he heard that it only took 7 minutes in the microwave! 😀
Bon appetit, friends! Enjoy! xx